Zoologists and wildlife biologists typically need a bachelor’s degree for entry-level positions; a master’s degree is often needed for higher level investigative or scientific work. A Ph. D. is necessary to lead independent research and for most university research positions.
What college degree do you need to be a zoologist?
It takes 4-years to earn a bachelor’s degree in Wildlife Conservation, which is the basic level of zoologist education needed to enter the field. Earning a Master’s degree will usually take another 2-years and may call for an additional 30-hours of practical, field-specific work.
What schooling do you need to become a wildlife biologist?
Wildlife biologist education*
While the minimum education requirement is a bachelor’s degree in either wildlife biology, ecology, or zoology, many wildlife biologists have a master’s degree or even a PhD. In high school, take classes in biology, math (especially calculus), English and chemistry.
What jobs with animals pay well?
If you are an animal lover seeking career opportunities, here is a list of 15 of the highest-paying jobs in this field:
- Animal caretaker. National average salary: $23,940 per year. …
- Animal trainer. …
- Veterinary assistant. …
- Zookeeper. …
- Breeder. …
- Veterinary technician. …
- Animal control officer. …
- Veterinary nurse.
How much does a wildlife biologist make?
The average salary for a wildlife biologist is $69,891 per year in the United States.
What college has the best wildlife biology programs?
The 10 Best Wildlife Biology Schools in the US
- University of New Hampshire (Durham, NH) …
- University of Maine (Orono, ME) …
- Brigham Young University (Provo, UT) …
- Texas State University (San Marcos, TX) …
- Utah State University (Logan, UT) …
- University of Vermont (Burlington, VT) …
- Colorado State University (Fort Collins, CO)
What jobs do wildlife biologists do?
Wildlife Biologist Duties & Responsibilities
- Conduct census projects, research studies, and complex data analysis.
- Study ecosystems.
- Trap, tag, or relocate animals for conservation purposes.
- Develop land and water use plans.
- Work to save endangered species.
- Evaluate the impact of commercial ventures on local wildlife.
What is the highest-paying job?
Top 100 highest-paying jobs
- Cardiologist. National average salary: $351,827 per year.
- Anesthesiologist. National average salary: $326,296 per year.
- Orthodontist. National average salary: $264,850 per year.
- Psychiatrist. National average salary: $224,577 per year.
- Surgeon. …
- Periodontist. …
- Physician. …
How do I become a zoologist?
Zoologists require at least a bachelor’s degree in zoology and wildlife biology, or in a related field like ecology. An undergraduate degree in biology with studies in wildlife biology and zoology is a good preparation for this career. For higher-level investigative work or scientific work, a master’s degree is needed.
Is an animal science degree worth it?
From livestock buyer to artificial insemination technician, a degree in animal science offers ample benefits for those who take it. Whether you opt for a Bachelor’s or a Master’s degree, both can lead you towards interesting companies and rewarding careers. …
What is the highest paying wildlife biology job?
Zoo Director to Marine Biologist Salaries: Wildlife Careers
- Wildlife Forensic Scientist.
- Zoo Director.
- Marine Biologist or Marine Mammalogist.
- Wildlife Biologist.
- Fish and Game Warden.
How long do wildlife biologists go to school?
Education. To work in this field, wildlife biologists need at least a bachelor’s degree. This degree generally takes four years to complete and includes classes on biology, ecology, wildlife management, chemistry, physics, statistics and conservation.
Is wildlife biology a good career?
Is Wildlife Biology a Good Career? Wildlife biology is an excellent career, but it may be more difficult to earn a high salary, particularly in the early stages of your career. Below, you can review data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) about median salaries and the sectors these professionals work in.